My earlier post sparked an idea inside my crazy head. As I typed away about how great it was to start your morning with exercise- proclaiming it the best ever, before correcting myself to say that breakfast was actually the best ever- it got me thinking about the importance of breakfast. Yup, I finally got to the point of that long winded sentence haha.
Vege Scramble (spinach, tofu, 1 egg, mixed vegies & mushys) & 1 egg with 2 pieces of thin turkey on wholegrain toast.
I thought I’d share with you some reasons why I think breakfast is important and then back up with some actual proven stuff I’ve read through research and fact searching.
- Because it kicks start my metabolism.
- It breaks the fast, duh! BREAK-FAST.
- I am bloody hungry when I get up!
- It gives you energy before you get into your day full-throttle.
- On the topic of energy- it gives me the energy to work/teach to my full potential in my group fitness classes and during exercise.
- It helps you with your eating later in the day- if you eat breakfast you’re less likely to get absolutely starving and overeat later on. Also meaning you’re less likely to make bad food choices because you’re not crazy hungry.
- It gives you one more delicious meal to eat!
- You can eat oatmeal without judgement haha 😉
1/2 cup of wholegrain & multigrain oats with 1/2 cup trim + 1/2 cup water, & chia seeds. Topped with honey, 1/2 banana sliced & crushed almonds.
FACTS & RESEARCH:
- Fuels you for the rest of the day.
- Gives your body and MIND what it needs to recover from your big sleep. Because our glycogen stores begin to deplete as we sleep (lack of eating) we start to lose focus and concentration.
- A healthy and balanced breakfast is said to reduce cravings for the rest of the day. Whether this occurs physically or psychologically (you eat healthy and start your day off well, making it is easier to maintain throughout) it still happens.
- Cranks up your metabolism.
- More likely to get enough/more necessary nutrients and vitamins from your food because you’re eating more food (compared to someone who misses that meal). Plus breakfast foods (the right ones) have huge potential- eggs, oats, milk, wholegrains, nuts, seeds etc etc.
- Can aid in weight loss as it keeps your metabolism running higher, satisfies and reduces hunger (and the need to overeat later), gives you energy to be physically active for the rest of the day (burn calories) and gets you on track with your healthy choices (a strong start can indicate a strong finish).
What are your reasons for eating breakfast or why do you think breakfast is/isn’t important?